1. Choose the correct answer for each from the given options: (15)
(1) Choose the correct form of the direct narration: she said to her mother that when she reached home, she had not found her there
She said to her mother, ” When she reached home, she did not find you there.”
She said to her mother, ” When I reached home, I did not find you there.”
She is saying to her mother, “When she reaches hon, she does not find her mother there.”
She says to her mother, ” When I reach home, I did not find you there.”
(2) The poet/poetess of the poem ‘Daffodils’ is:
Mrs. Elsa Kazi
(3) Choose the correct affirmative form: Will you not pray for us?
Would you pray for us?
Will you be praying for us?
Would you have prayed for us?
Will you pray for us?
(4) Choose the correct affirmative form: We do not make a noise:
We does make a noise.
We made a noise.
We make a noise.
We are making a noise.
(5) Choose the most suitable article for the sentence: Honest men speak ……… truth.
none of them
(6) Choose the correct form of the indirect narration: He says, “I am weak in English.”
He says that he is weak in English.
He says that he was weak in English
He says that I am weak in English
He said that he is weak in English
(7) Choose the correct negative form: She speaks English very well.
She do not speak English very well.
She does not speak English very well.
She is not speaking English very well.
she will not speak English very well.
(8) Choose the correct interrogative form: I am learning my lesson.
Am I learning my lesson?
Did I learn my lesson?
Was I learn my lesson?
Do I learn my lesson
(9) Choose the correct meaning of the given phrase: A rainy day
A day of the rainy season.
A good time
A difficult time.
(10) Select proper degree of the adjective for the sentence: Ali Is the ……. Student in the class.
(11) Choose the correct active form: The Holy Quran is recited by me.
I recited the Holy Quran.
I have recited the Holy Quran.
I am reciting the Holy Quran.
I recite the Holy Quran.
(12) Choose the correct passive voice. He was planting a tree In the garden.
In the garden, a tree was planted by him.
A tree was being planted by him in the garden.
A tree had planted in the garden by him.
A tree has been planted by him in the garden.
(13) Hazrat Muhammad (peace be upon him), the Prophet of Islam was born In A.D:
(14) Complete the given phrase: As brave as ……..
(15) Choose the most suitable proposition for the given sentence: Trust ……. God and hope for the best.
English Past Paper 9th Class 2010 Karachi Board
SECTION “B” (SHORT-ANSWER QUESTIONS)
2.(a) Answer any 8 of the following questions in Three to Four sentences each: (24)
(i) What does the Last Sermon of the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) teach us?
(ii) Who was Shah Abdul Latif? What is the message of his poetry?
(iii) What does Moenjodaro mean? Where is it situated?
(iv) Where was Helen Keller born? When did she visit Pakistan and why?
(v) Where and when was Allama Muhammad Iqbal born? Why did he want a separate state for the Muslims of India?
(vi) Who was Fatima Jinnah? Why was she called Madar-i-Millat?
(vii) Why is 14th August 1947 an important date for us?
(viii) How are diseases caused?
(ix) What is our duty to our country?
(x) Where is Guddu Barrage built? What are the benefits of this barrage?
2.(b) Attempt any 4 questions In three to four sentences each. (12)
(i) Why does the poetess say that the ‘N9em Tree’ is unafraid?
(ii) Who wrote the poem Children? What is the central, idea of this poem?
(iii) What is harness bells? Why does the horse shake his harness bells?
(iv) Who was Abou Ben Adhem? Why was his name on the top of the list?
(v) Who is a Miller? What was he singing about?
(vi) What is a daffodil? Where did the poet see the daffodils?
English Past Paper 9th Class 2010 Karachi Board
SECTION “C” (DETAILED-ANSWER QUESTIONS)
3. Write an essay of about 100 to 120 words on any One of the following topics: (08)
(i) A Dreadful Accident
(ii) Celebration of Eid-e-Milad-un-Nabi (S.A.W) at my School
(iii) Loc1d-Shedding of Electricity in the Town
(iv) What I would like to be in Life
4. Write an application to the headmaster I headmistress of your school requesting him/her to issue you the transfer certificate (T.C.)
Write a letter to your friend inviting him I her to your birthday party.
5. Translate five of the following sentences into English:
6 . Read the following passage and answer any Five questions given at the end:
Winter is the cold season of the year. We wear warm clothes in this season. The days are short and the nights are long. We eat a lot of dry fruit in winter. We also drink a lot of tea and coffee. It is the time for indoor games and for listening to stories in bed at night. We sleep indoors. For a wash, we get hot water. The winter months are November, December, January, and February.
(i) How does winter differ from summer?
(ii) What fruit do we like to eat in winter?
(iii) What sort of clothes do we wear in winter season?
(iv) Why do we sleep indoors in winter?
(v) Which game do we like to play in winter?
(vi) Name the months of winter in our country.
(vii) Write the second & third forms of verb ‘drink’ & ‘strike’