1. Write an essay of 100 to 120 words on any One of the following topics:- (10)
(i) Importance of Unity in the Muslim World
(ii) Role of Media in Educating People.
(iii) The Annual Function of your School
(iv) General Elections, 2008 in Pakistan
2. Write an application to the headmaster/headmistress of your school to issue you a provisional certificate. (08)
Write a letter to your father informing him about your preparation for the forthcoming S.S.C. Part II Exam.
Write a dialogue between two friends discussing democracy in Pakistan.
3. Do as directed: (15)
(i) —– apple ——- day keeps the doctor away. (Insert suitable articles, where necessary.)
(ii) He has been suffering ——-fever——– Sunday last. (Insert suitable prepositions
(iii) Does she help the poor? (Change into an assertive sentence
(iv) He gets up early in the morning. (Change into a negative sentence.)
(v) The doctor gave the medicine to the patient. (Change into an interrogative sentence.)
(vi) I drank orange juice. (Change verb into present perfect tense
(vii) They caught butterflies in the garden. (Change the sentence into future indefinite tense.)
(viii) A road links his village to the town. (Change the voice.)
(ix) Let the door not be opened. (Change the voice.)
(x) The teacher was teaching English. (Change the voice.)
(xi) We are taught English by a good teacher. (Change the voice)
(xii) I said to the headmaster, “May I come in, sir?”(Change into the indirect form of narrating
(xiii) The teacher said that man is mortal. (Change the form of narration.)
(xiv) Table, chair, sofa, almirah etc. (Give one word for the group of words.)
4.(a) Answer any Six of the following questions in two/three sentences each: (12)
1. What are the qualities of a good teacher?
2. What do you learn from the life of the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.)?
3. What are the various customs of the valley of Mehran?
4. What is the Khyber Pass and how long is it?
5. How did Sultan Nasiruddin earn his living?
6. How did King Faisal develop his country?
7. What is the difference between the old and the modern methods of farming?
8. What is the difference between beef and mutton?
9. How did the Caliph find out the real owner of the horse?
(b) Answer any Four of the following in two/three sentences each:- (08)
1. What message does the poet give in his poem ‘The Voice of God’?
2. What kind of men can lift the country to the sky?
3. What lesson do we learn from the poem ‘Casabianca’?
4. Who wrote the poem ‘Little Things’?
5. What makes our world an Eden?
6. Whose hands are praised in the poem ‘Beautiful Hands’ and why?
7. Why did King Bruce decide not to give up his effort?
5. Fill in the blanks of any Five of the following with the correct answers chosen from the brackets:
1. The Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) practiced what he ———-. (believed, sought, preached)
2. The farmers use ——— to enrich the soil. (insecticides, chemical fertilizers, medicines)
3. Brave men work while the others ——-. (sleep, smile, weep)
4. A Fisheries Technological Laboratory has also been set up at——— (Lahore, Karachi, Quetta)
6. Use any Three of the following idiomatic structures in sentences of your own:
with open arms; black and white; to wind up; by and by; to nip in the bud.
7. Translate the following sentences into English:·
Complete the following story from given outline:
A farmer has three sons — they are always quarreling with one another— father asks them to bring a bundle of sticks — asks them to break it — none succeeds –unties the bundle –each son breaks the sticks easily.
8. Read the following passage and answer the questions given below:- (05)
This universe is a very strange kind of place. The empty spaces in the universe are immeasurable. The distance from our sun to the nearest star is 4.2 light years. This is in spite of the fact that we see a collection of about 300,000 million stars. About thirty million similar collections are known to exist in the universe.
(i) What is immeasurable in the universe?
(ii) What is the distance between the sun and the nearest star?
(iii) What is meant by a light year?
(iv) How many groups of stars are known to exist?
(v) Write the noun forms of ‘exist’ and ‘measure’.
9. Make the precis of the following passage:· (04)
The great advantage of early rising is that one can start one’s work long before others have done so. The early riser has done a large amount of hard work before other men get out of bed in the early morning when the mind is fresh and no sound or noise disturbs him/her. The work done at such times is generally well done. Also one finds time to take some exercise in the fresh morning air. Exercise supplies him with a good deal of energy that enables him to work hard till the evening.